200 hour Yoga Teacher Training / Immersion Program
2017/2018 Program Dates
- October 12 (evening only), 13-15
- November 24-26
- December 15-17
- January 19-21
- February 16-18
- March 2-4
Application Deadline: August 30, 2017
An application must be completed for consideration and acceptance in the program. Participants are recommended to have at least 6 months of a regular yoga practice but each applicant will be reviewed no matter what their background is.
- $2500 (tax included) early bird registration if paid in full by June 30, 2017
- $2800 (tax included) after June 30, 2017
- $250 non-refundable deposit to reserve your spot
- Payment plan option is available at $375 per month from September 4 to March 4 (after deposit) to be paid in full by March 4, 2018
Your investment includes 7 months of unlimited drop-in yoga classes from September 1, 2017 – March 4, 2018, as a gift to become established in yoga.
Transportation and accommodation information available. Some billeting with local residents may also be available. Please contact us for details.
Whether you are interested in learning to teach yoga or simply deepen your own practice, expand your self awareness and transform your life, the Yoga by the Sea Teacher Training/Immersion program is committed to the personal success of every participant. Our 200 hour certification program provides a comprehensive foundation to the fundamentals of teaching yoga and living a yogic lifestyle based on the Classical Hatha Yoga System, with an emphasis on Yoga Therapy.
Participants will be immersed in a program rich in the full spectrum of all that is yoga: vibrant, purposeful, authentic, conscious, joyful, balanced, sacred, spiritual and transformative. Throughout the training, participants will be encouraged to explore their full abilities in both body and spirit and be prepared to teach yoga from a place of clarity, personal experience and enthusiasm. You will be guided through this program with intelligence and compassion.
What You will Learn
- Physiological, psychological and spiritual aspects of asana, pranayama, and meditation
- Basic anatomy and physiology of the physical body and subtle energy body
- History and philosophy of yoga through study of ancient yoga texts
- Intensives including: Business, Ethics, Prenatal
- Principles of Practice, Demonstration, Observation, Teaching, Assists
- Practice-teaching sessions, intimate study groups, observing and assisting classes
Yoga Alliance Standards
Based on Yoga Alliance Standards, our 200 hour certification program includes:
- Techniques Training/Practice: Includes asanas, pranayamas, kriyas, chanting, mantra, meditation, and other traditional yoga techniques. You will learn introductory level postures including benefits and contraindications, warm up and modifications to support a range of students. You will also learn essential breathing practices, and how to use the breath for transformation, in a yoga and meditation practice. 110 hours
- Teaching Methodology: Includes principles of demonstration, observation, assisting/correcting, instruction, teaching styles, qualities of a teacher, ethics for yoga teachers, and business aspects of teaching yoga. 25 hours
- Anatomy & Physiology: Includes both human physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, organs, etc.) and energy anatomy and physiology (chakras, nadis, etc.). Includes both the study of the subject and application of its principles to yoga practice (healthy movement patterns, etc). 30 hours
- Yoga Philosophy, Ethics and a Balanced Lifestyle: Includes the study of yoga philosophies, an overview of Bhagavad Gita, Yoga Sutras, Classical 8 limbed path of yoga, Yogic lifestyle. 35 hours
- Practicum: Includes practice teaching, receiving feedback, observing others, teaching and hearing/giving feedback. Also includes assisting students while someone else is teaching. 25 hours
- Yoga Therapy: Learn how to adapt the practice of Yoga to meet the needs of people with specific or persistent health challenges. Focusing on the practice of Yoga as a healing journey. 25 hours
“Yoga therapy is that facet of the ancient science of Yoga that focuses on health and wellness at all levels of the person: physical, psychological, and spiritual. Yoga therapy focuses on the path of Yoga as a healing journey that brings balance to the body and mind through an experiential understanding of the primary intention of Yoga: awakening of Spirit, our essential nature.”
—Integrative Yoga Therapy (U.S.A.)
Joseph LePage, M.A
Self-study, regular yoga classes, observing classes & assisting in classes will be conducted outside of group scheduled hours and can be arranged according to your own personal schedule. We realize the majority of participants in the program have time constraints and outside responsibilities, therefore the entire program is designed to support your current lifestyle as you experience your teacher training and deepen your connection to yoga and your practice!
After completing this 200-hour training, you will receive a certificate and a letter of recommendation. This will aid in the application process when applying for teaching positions. You will also be able to register with the Yoga Alliance, and receive a 200 RYT rating. There will also be opportunity to teach at Yoga by the Sea. Depending on your own practice, you will be prepared to teach beginner to intermediate level classes. We encourage teachers to constantly be learning new information, as we are always students!
Marney Coulter, Program Director and Senior Teacher
From the Heart
I walked into my first yoga studio at the age of 28 as a New Year’s resolution in January 1995. Within 3 months, I was practicing yoga regularly, working at a yoga studio as an administrator, and committing to the upcoming Teacher Training program, though not quite sure how I was going to pay for it. This one decision changed the course of my life. The connection experienced with the teachings, the physical practice, the deep heart opening, sense of community, self acceptance, abiding calm, meditation, chanting, and holistic lifestyle shift, are only a few examples of the profound changes that occurred within the first year. One of the greatest gifts Yoga brought to me was a resourcefulness to move through life’s most difficult trials. This was tested when my Mother passed away only two months before I completed this first training. The faith and commitment to this practice has continued to guide me through tragedy, marriage, birth, parenting, divorce and rebuilding with grace and gratitude. My intention for this training is to simply guide and support your transformation, while you move deeper into your own life.
From the Resume
Marney currently has over 1800 hours of training and 20 years of experience. Since 1995, her career profession has been as a Yoga Teacher. She has been working full time, with a successful yoga business for the past 14 years, both in Vancouver and on the Sunshine Coast. She is a Registered Yoga Therapist with the International Yoga Therapist Association, having completed 650 hours of Training in Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy. She is registered with Yoga Alliance as a 500 hour RYT, 200 E-RYT and 200 RYS. She is on faculty with the Amrit Yoga Institute and Pacific Rim College. She also has over 200 hours of Meditation and Yogic Philosophy training, and 250 hours of various workshop trainings including Yoga for Arthritis, Prenatal Yoga, Teacher Training, Experiential Anatomy and Structural Yoga Therapy. Marney is also trained in Massage and Reiki Level 2.
As the Owner and Director of Yoga by the Sea, the largest Health and Wellness Centre on the Sunshine Coast, she is a Registered Senior Teacher with Yoga BC.
Yoga by the Sea, a dedicated Yoga Centre, was co-founded by Lyne Lantaigne and welcomed by the Sunshine Coast community in 2006.